Friday, February 5, 2016

Me VS. The sewing machine

So, at this point, it's painfully obvious that I love to make stuff, and there really isn't a textile craft that I haven't tried and loved.....with one exception. Sewing. I hand stitch like a champ, but the sewing machine has always gotten the better of me. And don't even get me started on trying to follow a pattern! Ha! That completely baffles me. 

 But this is the year that changes. My mom got me a fabulous sewing machine for Christmas, and I am bound and determined to master that bad boy this year. I picked up some cute flannel fabric to try my hand at pajama bottoms for my kiddos, but I decided to start on something smaller first. My double-pointed needle case has just about had it. It's covered in dog fur that I can never get off, the button is hanging on by a thread, and a needle sections are starting to come unstitched. So - the battle began.

The outer layer, and first inside pocket is leftover canvas from refinishing a TV tray to an ironing board (check out the tutorial for that over on American Quilting). The interior and second pocket is from a blue jean dress that I up-cycled. I decided to use the dress' original button hem for the top of the pocket - it gives it a little character.  I didn't have a pattern, but I had the old case, and used the measurements from that as a guide. And I just kind of winged it from there.

There were more than a few hiccups along the way. Including a mid-project call to my momma because the bobbin thread kept getting tangled. All in all, I'm pretty thrilled with how the final thing came out. I'll probably re-do it once my sewing skills improve, but for a first project, I'm pretty satisfied. And it's way prettier than the old one.



2 comments:

  1. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. Shanghai yi electric actuator

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! Kanada Visum

    ReplyDelete